Van Wert Federal Timeline

1889 - Van Wert Building & Savings Co., located in the J.F. Sidle & Son Furniture Store at 206 E. Main St., was formed.

1901 – The furniture store and the Bank moved to 121 W. Main St.

1932 – The Bank separated itself from the furniture store and moved into its first storefront at 123 W. Main St.

1936 – A federal charter replaced the Bank’s state charter and the company was renamed Van Wert Federal Savings and Loan Association.

1936 – The Bank became an insured member of the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, insuring all accounts up to the maximum of $5,000.

1941 - Even through times of depression, war and hardship, the Bank worked to help its customers from defaulting on their loans and managed to still extend dividends to its stockholders.

1950 - All accounts insured up to the maximum of $10,000 by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.

1962 - Due to continued growth, the Bank moved to 106 West Main Street.

1966 - All accounts insured up to the maximum of $15,000 by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.

1969 - All accounts insured up to the maximum of $20,000 by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.

1974 - All accounts insured up to the maximum of $40,000 by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.

1978 - Land was purchased and a brand new building erected at the Bank’s present location, 976 South Shannon Street.

1980 - All accounts insured up to the maximum of $100,000 by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation.

1989 – Van Wert Federal Savings and Loan Association celebrates 100 years of serving the Van Wert community.

1990 - In part due to the savings and loan fraud sweeping the nation, the board of directors voted to change the Bank’s corporate name to Van Wert Federal Savings Bank.

2008 – All accounts insured up to the maximum of $250,000 by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

2014 – Van Wert Federal Savings Bank celebrates 125 years of serving the Van Wert community.